Molinari ready to ink ‘Big’ recruits

By Wes Swietek

“There’s a new dog in town”, the slogan of the Huskies men’s basketball team, might soon be changed to “there are three new dogs in town.”

Wednsday is national letter-of-intent day when high school basketball players sign over their basketball lives to the colleges of their choice.

Along with 6-foot-3 guard Mike Lipnisky, who signed with NIU during the early signing period in November, the Huskies are expected to receive the John Hancocks of Steve Oldendorf, a 7-foot-1 center, and Mark Layton, a 5-foot-11 backcourter. Both have orally committed to NIU, with Layton coming aboard late, only deciding on NIU Monday. A fourth player might also sign with NIU to round out coach Jim Molinari’s first recruiting class.

Lipnisky, an all-stater from Rolling Meadows high school, is the most highly touted recruit to join the Huskies since the arrival of current NBA player Kenny Battle. “The Lip” poured in an average of 30.5 points per game and led his 28-3 Mustangs Downstate for the first time in the school’s history. Lipnisky also hit a state-record 71 consecutive free-throws this season.

Although not as highly touted as Lipnisky, Oldendorf at 7-foot-1, 220 pounds might soon be the biggest thing on campus outside of the Holmes Student Center. The St. Laurence product averaged 17.7 points, 6.7 rebounds and 4.2 blocks per game.

“He might not be an impact player like (Georgetown’s) Alonzo Mourning,” said St. Laurence coach Barry Shaw, “but he can help a lot of teams right now. He has good hands and shoots the ball well for someone his size. Being 7-foot-1 makes a big difference; He blocks a lot of shots and also makes a lot of people change their shots.”

Layton may be NIU’s sleeper of the year candidate. The 180 pounder was a three-year football player and a two-year basketball starter for Westchester St. Joseph High School.

“He’s as good a ballhandler as I’ve ever had,” said Layton’s coach, Gene Pingatore, who has coached more than his fair share of outstanding basketball players, including the NBA’s Isiah Thomas.

Layton averaged 14 points, four assists and four steals for the perennially powerful St. Joseph squad.

The Huskies might also sign a fourth ball player from among the multitude of undecided athletes still weighing their collegiate options.