Survey finds large number of faculty dissatisfied with salary increases, relations

By Julie Zvitkovits

A large percentage of faculty members are dissatisfied with their last salary increase and with relations among faculty and administration, according to a recent survey.

The American Association of University Professors conducted the survey and results were released in the association’s newsletter, Economics Professor Jack Skells said. Because the survey was taken through the mail, it was hard to gather faculty comments about specific problems, he said.

The survey was taken in late November of last year, Skells said.

A 9 percent faculty salary increase was awarded and distributed through the different colleges and departments, said J. Carroll Moody, executive secretary for the university council.

“Non-faculty don’t understand that some faculty members received a raise significantly above or below that 9 percent,” he said.

The survey results reveal general problems, but many of the problems might be situational or within certain departments, Moody said.

Raises and tenure contracts should not be based on the amount of research and publishing a faculty member has done, said Caleb Rosado, a former NIU sociology professor. Caleb left NIU last year to teach at Elizabethtown College in Pennsylvania.

“I didn’t have interaction with the administration, except at my own initiative,” Rosado said. Although he had very good working relationships with his department and other faculty members, there was no real collegiality among faculty, he said.

“Today some faculty may feel there’s not the collegiality one would wish would exist,” Moody said. This is because the university is large and there are many programs, he said.

“If teaching is not the main focus (for a faculty member), the student is short-changed,” Rosado said.