Sanctions teach greeks lessons

By Mark Gates

Some greek organizations are learning about issues like alcohol abuse, sexual assault and racism the hard way.

The Sigma Chi fraternity was put on one year of probation after five members performed a allegedly racist skit at a Delta Phi Epsilon fundraiser Nov. 20, 1988.

Since then, the fraternity has tried to combat alcohol abuse and racism through education. In efforts to lift disciplinary actions, the fraternity sponsored educational and service programs focused on racism.

Jim Walber, vice president of internal affairs for Sigma Chi, said the fraternity showed “Racism 101,” a video about racism on campus, in October. A discussion on racial issues followed the video, Walber said.

The fraternity has two events to fight racism planned for this semester, Walber said. Sigma Chi also helped sponsor “Hands Across Campus” which “helped different cultures intermingle,” he said.

Sigma Chi also sponsored two non-alcoholic mixers last semester. Non-alcoholic mixers are viewed as a healthy alternatives to social events where alcohol is served.

NIU placed Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity on probation for an alleged sexual assault which occurred on Dec. 2, 1988. The fraternity was told to start mandatory workshops on the “Double Visions” program, a discussion between males and females about relationships.

Delta Phi Epsilon sorority sponsors retreats about alcoholism every semester. Attendance is mandatory for house members, a Delta Phi Epsilon member said.

The sorority also faces the issue of drinking and driving by sponsoring “Alcohol Awareness” programs. Last semester, a DeKalb police officer spoke to the sorority about the negative effects of drunk driving, the member said.