Program open to students

By Shawnna Lynch

Students and faculty can improve their educational output by participating in a one-hour workshop focusing on the Wordperfect computer program.

The department of educational psychology, counseling, and special education will sponsor “Using Wordperfect 5.0,” for students on Thursday at 4 p.m. and faculty on Friday at 11 p.m. in Graham Hall Rm. 431.

Johnathon Reich, a graduate student and supervisor of the micro-computer lab in Graham Hall, will instruct the workshop.

The topics to be covered include: notetaking, outlining, bibliographies, spell-checking, footnotes, graphics, files, directories and producing papers with desirable appearances.

Robert Rosemeir, education psychology faculty chairman, said last year the EPCSE Dean’s office sponsored a similar workshop, but this is the first time the major is sponsoring such a program.

“These workshops are designed to take someone new to Wordperfect from 0 to 60 in one hour,” Reich said.

The lab contains 12 IBM-compatable PC’s, of which 11 are working. The workshop will seat two persons at a terminal, allowing room for 22 graduate or undergraduate students to attend on Thursday, Rosemeir said.

“We have this equipment for students because we are in the computer age,” Reich said.

Reich also produced computer-made flyers and distributed them to NIU faculty in order to promote the workshop.