Officials work on solution

By Michelle Landrum

Allegations of racism and ineffective action were many, but suggestions of a solution were few.

In an open forum between students and DeKalb city officials, almost 50 people crammed into a small DuSable Hall classroom, but as the two-and-one-half hour meeting wore on, only 13 remained.

The meeting’s focus was the Oct. 14 assault of a black male by three white males, while two other white males watched. What started out as stormy discussion about slow response from the DeKalb Police Department and racism in DeKalb ended with a small circle of students and officials plotting a defense against rumors.

The assault victim attended part of the meeting and said, “I don’t know if it was racially motivated. In my mind, I don’t think so” because he heard no racial slurs from his attackers. The victim added, however, he had doubts. “In my heart, naturally, being black, that was my feelings. But I can’t put my feelings in a report.”

The victim said the three white males beat him for two to three minutes before a passerby intervened. The victim talked about the two men who watched the attack and did nothing to stop it. “I heard them (say,) ‘Kick his ass.'”

Berke said the police have been in phone contact with the male passerby since the night of the incident, but police have not yet asked him to identify the suspects. He is a student at Illinois State University in Normal.

Student Association President Pro Tem Thomas Gary suggested a plan to stop the spread of false information by setting up a “Rumor Central.” This method was used during the Chicago race riots of 1919, Gary said.

Rumor Central would open communication lines and lessen the spread of misinformation by allowing access to knowledgeable sources. Gary suggested DeKalb City Manager Mark Stevens, Mayor Greg Sparrow, Police Chief Don Berke and city council members inform certain NIU officials.

These officials would include Acting Student Affairs Vice President Barbara Henley, SA President Huda Scheidelman and Black Student Union President Chris O’Banner. These sources would filter information to students at large.

Berke responded to criticism for letting the apprehended suspects go unarrested, explaining the victim could not identify them. The suspects were let go on the advice of DeKalb State’s Attorney Mike Coghlan.

When pressed for response, Berke said, “We’re not here to try anybody” at the meeting. After several other questions, Berke refused to reply further. “I don’t want to end up ruining this case.”

Freedom Now member Jim Fabris said, “All this talk about communication is just a way for the Student Association and the city council to stroke their egos.”

He said to Sparrow, “You are out of touch with reality. Do you understand what I’m saying?” Sparrow shot back, “Do you know what you’re saying?”