Student fees cost more at NIU than ISU

By Nissin Behar

NIU students will have to dig deeper into their pockets than Illinois State University students in Normal, even though the schools charge the same for tuition.

Tuition for NIU and ISU this academic year is $1,714. However, NIU mandatory fees are $670.36, while ISU’s mandatory fees are $523.50.

From 1980 to 1981, NIU students paid $305.40 in mandatory fees while ISU students paid $276. From 1985 to 1986, NIU paid $459.39. ISU paid $441.

The differences in fees between the two schools are in a category labeled as “other” by the Illinois Board of Higher Education. NIU pays $114.64 in this category, while ISU pays $3.50.

NIU’s Student Affairs Office lists the mandatory fees for 1989 to 1990 as the student activity fees, athletic fees, student center fees, grants and aids, health service fees, a Northern Star fee, revenue bond, student grants, emergency telephones, student government and student health insurance.

NIU activity fees are about $40. Athletic fees are nearly $146. Holmes Student Center fees are about $123. University Health Sevice fees are $83.52. Student insurance fees are about $157. All other categories fall underneath the heading “other,” said Gary Gresholdt, NIU assistant vice president for student affairs.

The IBHE approved policies related to public university tuition and fees in December 1988.

During July 1989, upon IBHE request, the Board of Regents submitted information about fee policies and rates. The Board reported on fees charged to undergraduate, graduate and professional students.

The results of this study were revealed at last week’s IBHE meeting at Western Illinois University in Macomb.

Results of the study show NIU charges graduate students lower activity fees but imposes special fees at the graduate level that result in charges $20 to $40 more than those to undergraduates.

The Board of Regents governs NIU, ISU and Sangamon State University in Springfield.

Total NIU mandatory fees increased by more than 10 percent during each of the past two years, according to the report.

IBHE policies state “no new mandatory fees charged to all students should be initiated for purposes of financing instructional activities. New fees for noninstructional purposes should require student referenda.”

The IBHE said mandatory fees allow public universities to provide facilities and services that would not or could not be provided with state funds.

“No new mandatory fees charged to all students should be initiated for purposes of financing instructional activities.”

IBHE policies