Burt signs six swimmers

Five prep swimming standouts and a transfer student have signed NCAA Letters of Intent with NIU, and the prospects seem good for coach Mike Burt’s 1989-90 Huskies.

The Huskies gain the services of diver Donna Gluth from DeMotte, Ind. and swimmers Kimberly Bell of Springfield, Michele Belo of Solon, Ohio, Maribeth Dragas of Western Springs, Ill., and Kristin Scholz of Quincy, Ill.

Gluth, a four-time MVP at Kankakee Valley High School, is expected to fill the scoring void left by two graduated Huskie divers.

Bell, a versatile swimmer expected to help in the breaststroke and individual medley, swam her first three years in Indiana for two-time state champion Carmel High School.

Belo, a club swimmer and United States Swimming national competitor, is a butterfly specialist who also should strengthen NIU’s medley relays.

Scholz, a three-time MVP swimmer and two-time Western Big Six Conference Champion in the 100-yard backstroke adds depth to the the Huskie lineup in that event.

Dragas scored points in two events at the Illinois High School Association state meet, placing 11th in the 100-yard and 12th in the 200-yard freestyle.

In addition, junior transfer Nicola Cox will join the NIU team. Cox, who left Eastern Michigan to swim at NIU, is counted on to join Belo in filling the gap left by the graduation of Lynette Zeitz. Cox finished sixth in the 200-yard butterfly at the 1988 Mid-American Conference Championships.