Input requested on possible fee for renovations

By Tammy Sholer

An ad hoc committee decided Friday to request student input on the possible renovations to the Holmes Student Center since fees could increase from $10.40 to $25.20.

A report conducted by Jon Dalton, vice president for student affairs, states the student center’s renovations would cost about $6,250,000. Of that amount, about $750,000 would be used for remodeling and about $5,500,000 for the construction of an addition.

Dalton, who also is co-chairman of the Student Services and Activities Space Study Committee, said a maximum fee of $25.20 per full-time student per academic year would have to be implemented if the proposed remodeling is approved. He said the fee could be phased in over a two-year period.

The proposal calls for $12.48 in fiscal year 1991 and $12.72 in FY92. This would be added to the current student center fee of $10.80 per academic year.

Committee member David Burke asked if there would be any insurance that students would not have to pay more than the projected increase.

Dalton said, “The only insurance is that money goes directly into the student center, (as) opposed to going to other buildings.” He said money from new revenue should keep student fees from increasing in the future.

Paula Radtke, committee co-chairman and Student Association president, said inflation was the reason the student center fee increased this year. She said if inflation increases in upcoming years so will the student center fee.

Morenike Cheatom, committee member and SA minority relations adviser, said students generally do not want to pay an increase in student fees. She said students need to be informed of the committee’s proposal before they will approve an increase in student fees.

Dalton said it would be helpful to the committee to have student feedback on the proposal. He suggested that a sub-committee be formed to gather students thoughts on the proposal.

Tracy Stitzel, committee member and Campus Activities Board president, said although she favors an addition to the student center, she said it is “important to look into the future because students would not want to pay increased fees.”

Committee member, Z Ahmad said with the increased fee to renovate the student center, students would be investing in future students.

“We didn’t have students investing in us, but that should not stop us (from investing in future students,)” Ahmad said.

The committee was designed to identify areas in the student center that could be used as office space for student organizations.

The Career Planning and Placement Center in Swen Parson Hall is one organization that is being considered to relocate in the student center.