Group discusses registration plan

By Amanda Martin

Controversy over the newly drafted fraudulent registration policy showed signs of settling after a committee discussed suggestions from members of the University Council.

The UC Academic Policy Committee met Wednesday after the council asked it to revise a first draft of the policy. The policy outlines action for cases of either unauthorized representation or inaccuracy of records and information outlined in the NIU Student Judicial Code.

The evaluation of the NIU fraudulent registration policy is a result of more than 100 students illegally registering into spring 1988 classes with a fraudulent “REG” stamp. About 50 students still await final decisions regarding their suspected illegal registration.

Student committee member Marcia Jewell said much of the controversy about the policy focuses on students’ rights to petition for re-admission into a fraudulently obtained class.

“No one is arguing that what the students (who fraudulently registered) did was right,” she said. But representatives of student constituencies argue a student’s petition for reinstatement possibly could be reviewed by a biased party.

The first draft of the policy called for all petitions for reinstatement to be referred to NIU academic departments. Student Association President Paula Radtke voiced concern at the Feb. 8 UC meeting that some faculty might allow students to re-enter their classes and then issue them failing grades. Radtke also said that biases for or against students are equally unfair.

Committee chairman Conard White said, “I think we’ve come to an agreement.” White said he believes faculty and student representatives came to an agreement by the end of the meeting.

The committee suggested making several additions to the policy, which White said were beneficial to both sides. However, no additions or revisions have been approved by the committee or the UC, he added.

Policy additions suggested at the committee meeting included a statement by Jon Dalton, vice president for student affairs, prohibiting the issuing of a grade as disciplinary action if a student is reinstated, White said.

White said the committee decided to refer future fraudulent registration cases to a Class II hearing board as stated in the NIU Student Judicial Code. A Class II hearing board is composed of three NIU faculty members and two NIU students.

Perhaps the major contributing factor to a compromise between faculty and students would be to refer reinstatement petitions to a departmental committee. White said departmental grade appeals committees most likely would be used in place of organizing new committees.

e said that an appeals committee would be the final step in the process after the student was found guilty and all other appeals were exhausted.

James Norris, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences dean, said he believes the revised policy was “generous” for dealing with students who are “guilty of fraud.”

Norris said grade appeals committees usually consist of one undergraduate or graduate student majoring within the department and two departmental faculty members. Norris said he believes this would be fair.

White said he is optimistic about policy changes, adding, “I think it’s going to work.”

The committee does not plan to bring the revised policy to the council for a second reading until the April 12 UC meeting, White said. He said he has asked the committee to review the revised policy and make suggestions at its March 23 meeting.