New route will allow Sycamore residents to use Huskie buses

By Dan O'Shea

The Student Association Mass Transit Board has initiated a DeKalb-Sycamore route that will allow Sycamore resients to use the Huskie Bus Line.

SAMTB Chairman Dave Emerick said, “Student fees will not be increase because of the new route. In fact, in the long term, the Sycamore route will increase revenue for the bus service.” Emerick said this revenue will come from the fare box and the sale of bus passes to Sycamore residents.

As a result of the addition, Route 9 will include stops on DeKalb Avenue at the Sycamore Municipal Building and North Cross Street, and also at the DeKalb County Courthouse at State and Main Streets. Route 9 was started in the fall of 1987 for engineering students attending NIU’s College of Engineering in Sycamore, and runs Monday through Friday.

The new schedle states that Route 9 will leave Holmes Student Center on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at 7:30, 8:30, 9:30, and 10:30 a.m. and 12:30, 2:30, and 4:30 p.m. Buses will leave the engineering building at 8, 9, 10, and 11 a.m. and 1, 3, and 5:20 p.m.

On Tuesdays and Thursdays, buses will leave the student center at 9 and 10:30 a.m. and 12, 1:30, 3, and 5 p.m. Buses will leave the College of Engineering at 9:30, and 11:30 a.m. and 12:30, 2:30, 3:30, and 6:30 p.m.

Bus passes cost $30 per semester for NIU faculty and staff, non-NIU students, and senior citizens, and $40 for others. Passes and route maps are available at the Sycamore Municipal Building, the DeKalb Municipal Building and the NIU Bursar’s Office in Swen Parson Hall.