SA senator asserts: Speaker influenced others’ resignations

By Greg Rivara

Student Association Sen. Bill Kraemer, who was nearly impeached Nov. 20, said Senate Speaker Joe Annunzio plans to impeach about seven or eight senators before Christmas vacation.

Kraemer, who the senate failed to impeach by one vote, said Annunzio is trying to convince senators to resign by telling them they are “not effective.”

“Joe is trying to impeach seven or eight senators. He says it is a rumor—but it isn’t.” he said.

Kraemer has come under the scrutiny of the SA since he was allegedly caught sleeping during a senate meeting.

Kraemer said he was the first to undergo impeachment proceedings because he did not resign when asked to by Annunzio and Sen. Gary Stittgen. Kraemer filled out a resignation form Nov. 17 but changed his mind before the resignation was accepted in the Nov. 20 meeting, he said.

At least four or five other senators have filled out resignation forms also, Kraemer said, but he was unsure why the other senators agreed to resign so readily.

Annunzio said he intended to talk with four or five senators about resigning because the senators did not have the time to commit to the SA. Annunzio did not have the chance to talk with anyone except Kraemer, he said.

“Time commitment goes hand-in-hand with effectiveness,” Annunzio said.

“Gary seems to be in coalition with Joe. Both these people tried to form coalitions and then worked on their own members. Gary works with the more conservative senators and Joe works with the stereotypical Greek Row people,” he said.

Annunzio and Stittgen have a lot of clout together, Kraemer said.

Kraemer said he expected the motion to impeach him during the Nov. 20 senate meeting because he refused to resign his senate position.

While the senate was in executive session to discuss Kraemer’s impeachment, Kraemer said there were “clearly people in favor, against and in the middle” of the impeachment issue. Kraemer said the senate is divided on the impeachment issue because of Annunzio’s and Stittgen’s coalition work.

“They (Annunzio and Stittgen) are very shrewd politicians,” he said.

Kraemer said he expects the senate to try to impeach him again before the semester is over. However, he said the senate does not have the legal right to conduct impeachment proceedings again because of the spirit of the double jeopardy law.

The double jeopardy law prohibits an individual from being tried in a court of law twice for the same crime.

“They’re not really being very legal,” Kraemer said.

However, Annunzio said there are no provisions in the SA Constitution or Bylaws that prohibit a senator from being tried for impeachment more than once during a semester.

“A senator can be impeached in every meeting until the end of the year,” Annunzio said.

“In the case of the Student Association, laying on five chairs, not knowing what committee you’re on and not being informed basically spells out impeachment,” he said. “The elimination of dead weight is essential to this organization.”

Annunzio said he expects to have enough votes to impeach Kraemer at the Dec. 4 senate meeting.

Kraemer said he is considering resigning from his position at the end of the semester for personal reasons. These reasons have nothing to do with the senate’s action during the course of this semester, he said.

Kraemer said the senate’s ineffectiveness this semester is not related to Annunzio’s charges of “dead weight” on the senate but because the senate is not working together.

“There is a lot of fighting amongst themselves that is causing disunity in the senate—there is a lot of dissension,” he said.