Rosborough relies on sophs as scorers, rebounders, etc.

By Mike Morris

As starting lineups go, this one is in a class by itself. Sophomore class—that is.

With a roster that includes two junior transfers, six sophomores and four freshmen, what else is a coach to do? Actually, men’s head basketball coach Jim Rosborough said he has confidence in his squad.

“Our whole sophomore class has given us very good leadership,” Rosborough said. “They’re all, in their own way, kind of a captain.”

Official co-captains Donnell Thomas and Donald Whiteside should play a major role in the Huskies’ plans this season. Thomas, the lone returning starter from last year’s 8-20 team, has been named to the preseason honorable mention All-America team by Street & Smith’s Magazine.

The 6-foot-4 forward has improved his scoring potential during the off-season. After averaging 11.5 points-per-game last year, the “D-Train” has exploded for a 21.3 average in two preseason contests and in one regular-season game.

“Donnell Thomas has picked up right where he left off a year ago,” Rosborough said. “He’s worked on his jump shot, and I think if he takes the good shots at 12 to 15 feet, he can be a good threat there. I really think he’s tough enough that he almost wills some shots in. He may not be the picture-perfect shooter, but he’s so tough that he will hit the shots when we need him to.”

Whiteside has shown the ability to both score and pile up the assists. The 5-foot-10 point guard has averaged 14.7 points and 7.3 assists during the preseason and season opener.

“I’m more of a role player,” Whiteside said. “If I have to score, I’ll do it. But my main job is to get the ball to the big guys inside.”

Off-guard Stacy Arrington will pull double duty as the Huskies’ back-up point guard. At 6-foot-2, Arrington could pose a problem to opposing backcourts.

“He’s potentially as talented a young man as has been here,” Rosborough said. “I don’t want to put any undue pressure on Stacy, but if he allows himself to become as good a player as he can become, he’s going to be very, very good.”

When it comes to controlling the boards, 6-foot-7 Andrew Wells and 6-foot-8 Antwon Harmon should form an imposing front line.

“(Wells is) a great rebounder,” Rosborough said. “I mean great rebounder. He can run the floor like a deer, and he’ll be one of the guys out there on the break for us.”

After sitting out a Proposition 48 freshman year, the 191-pound Harmon will be competing with Wells’ for fastbreak dunks.

“I think (Harmon’s) going to surprise a lot of people,” Rosborough said. “He has not played competitively since his last game in high school. And I think he’s going to be exciting because he’ll get out there on the break and get some dunks.”

An accomplished dunker in his own right, Jo Jo Jackson will be the first guard off the bench for the Huskies.

“Jo Jo we’re billing as the famous Celtics’ sixth man,” Rosborough said. “And he will play as much as his skinny little body can take.”