Future alumni donations uncertain

By Amanda Martin

With the rising cost of tuition and budget cuts imposing a greater financial burden on students and the university, alumni contributions are becoming increasingly important in areas such as alumni-funded scholarships. However, future alumni donations might be uncertain.

Bob Brown, director of special giving for NIU, said the NIU Alumni Association awarded more than 30 merit scholorships to undergraduate and graduate students last year.

Susan Lund, director of NIU alumni programs, said, “We have one of the largest private merit programs available to university students.” The association’s scholarship fund is the university’s second largest fund with a financial commitment of almost $50,000, ranking just behind NIU’s University Scholar program.

Universities such as the University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana and Southern Illinois University at Carbondale also offer scholarships funded through their alumni organizations. Richard Margison, vice president of business and finance for U of I, said $1.2 million of alumni donations was directed toward financial aid last year.

“Alumni are one of the best groups to turn to when your institution may need help, particularly if they have had a good experience while at the university,” said Margison.

Officials at SIU could not estimate how much of their alumni donations were directed toward scholarships but did say alumni contributed a considerable amount for scholarship funding.

According to NIU statistics, alumni contributions are up two percent from last year. However, the reactions of current NIU students indicate mixed feelings toward donating in the future.

Shawn Tate, a senior in communication studies, said he was not sure whether he would donate to the university as a graduate.

“Tuition is constantly going up, and I don’t see the university doing anything to offset those costs to students,” he said. “The university will give money to Clyde Wingfield to go off for a year yet not do anything to help out or benefit the students, and I have trouble with not knowing where my money might go.”

Seniors Diana Hellestrae and Kathy Murphy said they would contribute financially to the university.

“I see the money problems the university has now, and I would donate if I knew it might help,” said Hellestrae, a corporate fitness major. Murphy, a Spanish and corporate communications major, said she felt it was important to contribute to ensure a quality education for future students.

Aaron Broholm, a junior accounting major, said he felt similarly and he would donate. “I would like to see the university continue to grow into something to be proud of.”

However, students Derrick Strand, Phyllis Chiarelli and Kristy Miles felt differently.

Strand, a senior accounting major, said he would most likely not donate to the university. “My opinion of the university is that the administration hasn’t done much to accommodate me, so I don’t see myself giving much in return,” he said.

Chiarelli, a senior art major, said, “With all the things happening with Wingfield and Board of Regents, there’s no way I would give anymore money (to the university) than I already am.”

Miles, a junior English major, said she also would not donate, “Basically because I’m paying enough in tuition.”

Alumni Association President Richard Boardman said he felt some reactions stem from the university’s lack of state funding. Boardman also added that NIU’s association, along with other university alumni organizations throughout the state, represented their universities in Springfield in support of an increase in funding for higher education.