NIU officials search for student center director

By Matt James

NIU officials are still in the process of forming a search committee to find a new director for the Holmes Student Center, despite promises made last spring to have a new director chosen by the start of the fall semester.

The director’s position has been held by Interim Director William Herrmann since June, after former director Marlin Tenboer retired following about 30 years of employment at NIU.

James Harder, NIU vice president of business and operations, said the search probably will continue past the end of the year.

Herrmann said he does not intend to apply for student center director, even though applications for the position will be accepted from inside and outside NIU.

Harder said NIU already has received letters of application from across the country for the position, even though the opening has yet to be advertised.

He said the “important” position of student center director includes the responsibility of day-to-day operations of the student center, programming within the center, management of space and services and overseeing physical changes to the facility.

“The new director will interface with CAB (Campus Activity Board), SA (Student Association) and programming and activities,” Harder said.

He added NIU plans to make “every effort to make the vacancy known, but we don’t expect to have a new director by the end of the calendar year.” He said NIU will advertise for the position in the Chronicle of Higher Education and in trade publications.

The search is being held as students and administrators are in the process of discussing the establishment of a new advisory board for the student center. Initial discussion of a new board has not taken place, and no date has been set for the talks.