Architect puts tower improvements first

By Matt James

The president of the architectural firm slated to redesign the Holmes Student Center tower’s new exterior said Wednesday his firm would not let aesthetics come before necessary improvements on the tower.

Randall Lindstrom, president of Ware and Associates, Rockford, met with the NIU committee responsible for preparing the tower’s design yesterday and discussed, among other topics, possibilities for enclosing the top of the tower.

Student Association President Jim Fischer said the estimated $160,000 required to construct a roof enclosure for the tower “could be used elsewhere.”

But Conrad Miller, physical plant project manager, said “one of the selling points (of plans submitted by Ware and Associates) was the dome on top of the tower.”

“The students wanted to change (the flat roof)—they voted on it.”

Roland Schreiber, assistant director/architect for the physical plant, said, “I’m surprised we’re questioning the design, when, from student input, the decision on Ware and Associates was made from the looks of the original design.”

Miller added, “It seems there will be some cost reduction” of the estimated $1,995,000 to complete the project, “but we won’t know anything about specific costs until we obtain bids (for the work).”

Machinery located on the tower’s roof includes two air conditioning units and antennas for communication purposes.

Lindstrom said he “would rather have the antennas outside of the enclosure.”

However, a consultant will be hired to instruct Ware and Associates on how to incorporate those antennas into the architecture if an enclosure is built, officials said.

Lindstrom said Ware and Associates is receiving limestone samples for the tower. He said “a lighter color would be better (than the tower’s present color).”

But he added the samples he has received have not been satisfactory in color.

The original completion date for the work was set at August 19. But a third revision of the project schedule presented to committee members Wednesday stated the completion date for all work on the tower is Feb. 6, 1989.

The final schematic diagram for the tower will be presented for approval to the Board of Regents’ Facility/Finance Committee April 7.