SCOPA considers Day of Action II plans

By Dina Paluzzi

Alternate plans to canceling classes or calling a strike on the April 13 Day of Action II were discussed Wednesday by the Student Committee on Poltical Action.

Student Association president pro tempore Todd Kuzma said instead of calling a strike or canceling classes, the committee should ask the faculty to have their students attend and report on a rally planned by SCOPA. He said the idea would be applicable to a lot of majors.

SCOPA Chairman Tom Rainey said he wants to make the Day of Action II events as accessible as possible to faculty, students and staff.

“If people are in classes, they won’t be at the Day of Action II,” he said.

Rainey said he wants the committee to ask faculty to reschedule major exams and assignments, if possible, on the Day of Action II.

The committee formed a subcommittee at the meeting to increase relations with faculty and staff and to get their support.

Rainey also said the SA senate voted to demand a strike on the Day of Action II.

SA Research Adviser Sue Greene said SCOPA should plan events for the whole day. “If we do things all day, people will attend the rally when they can,” she said.

SCOPA plans to hold a rally in the King Memorial Commons on the Day of Action II. Rainey said the committee wants to publicize “in a big way” that there will be a rally on the Day of Action II and students also can participate in civil disobedience if they want. However, he said very strict non-violent guidelines will be enforced.

Rainey said some of the possibilities for civil disobedience on the Day of Action II include blockading West Lincoln Hwy., marching down Lincoln to join high school students and the Del Monte plant workers in their protests and blockading I-88 tollbooths.

SCOPA also discussed getting a band for a rally on the Day of Action II and organizing a rally April 7, one week before the event.

One person at the meeting suggested getting a “hard core band” to play at the rally. She said a hard core band would get people angry.

SCOPA member Aaron Burke, also an SA senator, said SCOPA should get a band one week before the Day of Action II. “That is how I found out about it (the Day of Action) last year,” Burke said.