Board defers approval of ride service

By Dina Paluzzi

An approval by the Student Association Mass Transit Board of a late night ride service was postponed Monday because the board agreed the proposal was not complete.

Board Chairman Phil Kessler said, “We’re not going to let something incomplete go through.”

Board member Mike Cassman, an SA senator, and board member Dave Pack presented the proposal of a late night service, which would operate from 2 a.m. to 6 a.m. when buses do not run.

Kessler recommended the board wait to get a complete proposal before giving an approval. He said the proposal needs an updated expense sheet.

Cassman did give an updated cost of $606 for drivers’ wages and vehicle rental for a six-week pilot program, but the costs were not included in the proposal.

Earlier in the semester, the board approved to spend up to $1,000 for a six-week pilot program, Kessler said.

“I’m pleased with what you’ve done. I’d like to see something complete,” he said.

Graduate Assistant Mary Hermsen said, “We need a concrete proposal.” She said the proposal, if passed by the board, also needs to be approved by Jon Dalton, vice president for student affairs.

In the proposal, the services would be available to faculty, staff and students. Kessler said when the idea for the service first arose, the board decided to make services available for fee-paying students.

Kessler said he recommended the board wait before endorsing the proposal when Cassman said the proposal included faculty, staff and guests.

A motion by Board Vice Chairman Dave Emerick not to allow non-fee-paying students, faculty and staff to use the services was approved.

Cassman said the service provides “alternative transportation to students without transportation because there is no other method offered by the university.”

Kessler said he is still in favor of the service.

Pack said a concrete proposal will be submitted to the board at its March 21 meeting.

The board also went into closed session for about 30 minutes to discuss the advertisement bids which were presented Feb. 29 by the Institute for Excellence in Selling and Pi Sigma Epsilon.

The board chose PSE over IES who sold the bus advertisement last year. “As a group we decided to go with PSE,” Kessler said.

Kessler said he was surprised about the board’s decision. “But I’m willing to work with whatever group has it,” he said.