Activity board alloted over $177,500

By Sandi Patyk

The Student Association Senate allocated Sunday more than $177,500 of student fees for the 1988-89 Campus Activities Board budget.

The senate added $16,880 to the SA Finance Committee’s budget recommendations. Todd Lipscomb, SA treasurer and finance committee chairman, said the CAB budget is “really 12 separate budgets.” The breakdown includes administration, advertising, coffeehouse, concerts, festivals, films, public relations, recreation, speakers, special events, travel and visual arts.

Administration received $12,394. The senate added $400 to the telecommunications division. SA Sen. John Paul said CAB “needs money to contact agents and other people.”

The finance committee zero funded printing on campus but the senate added $85 so CAB could print its constitution and forms.

The advertising budget received $995. The senate added $20 for black markers, $10 for color markers and $15 for posterboard. SA Vice President Cam Davis said CAB needs additional markers because of the amount of advertising the organization does. “I know we (the SA) go through at least five markers during elections just marking IDs. CAB does a lot more advertising than we do.”

The public relations division was given $1,011. The senate added $140 for the printing of newsletters and $50 for advertisements.

The speakers division was given $33,223. The senate added $3,500 for honorariams. CAB members said speakers’ fees are rising and CAB cannot bring quality speakers to NIU without more money.

In other business, Elections Commissioner Doug Moore told senators who will work at SA executive election tables to be cautious when marking ballots. “Make sure the ballots are stamped and have your initials.”

The elections are Tuesday and Wednesday.

He said the students must have a spring sticker on their IDs. “Students must put their name, address and social security number on the form—this will decrease the possibility of voter fraud.”

Moore said senators must not tell voters who to vote for. “Even if students say they don’t know the candidates and want a suggestion, don’t give it to them.”

Poll workers who direct students to vote for specific candidates will be removed immediately from the area, Moore said.

Campaign fliers and posters near polling places will be taken down, Moore said. Candidates will not be allowed to hand out leaflets or campaign in the polling areas, he said.