Most crucial issue was left unsettled

The Board of Regents took some big steps toward sending the appropriate message to Springfield this week. However, their job is not finished, yet.

The Regents discussed the issues of a tuition increase and a tax hike along with other orders of business. The Regents also concerned themselves with Day of Action II and capital improvements.

During the course of their meetings, the Regents decided to go ahead with certain capital improvements and officially support Day of Action II.

But the major issue which directly affects all students was left unresolved. The Regents did not adopt an official stance on the prospect of a tuition increase for next year.

During the week, the Regents gave indications they could go either way on the issue. NIU Student Regent Nick Valedez pressed the Regents to take some position on tuition, arguing the time was right to address the issue early. Chancellor Roderick Groves agreed but said the matter will be discussed next month.

Instead of addressing tuition, the Regents limited their suggestions to registering students to vote and pushing for a tax increase. By doing that, the Regents addressed peripheral matters but neglected the key issue. The tuition issue is the most crucial to students. It deserved the most attention, not the amount it received.

NIU President John LaTourette made a discouraging statement. He said a tuition increase might be “unavoidable” because Gov. James Thompson’s budget calls for no increase in higher education funding.

It must be remembered that Thompson’s budget is only a recommendation. The actual fiscal allocations are determined by the General Assembly.

That group can be made aware of student voter registration.

The General Assembly can be made aware of the fact that another tuition increase would be an immense burden for students to bear.

They can also be made aware tuition increases usually only keep universities at a status quo budget and do not account for any increase in expenditures.

The Regents have regularly reminded students to contact legislators about the need for more funding for higher education. But they must realize that they too must speak out and take a stand on tuition if any significant message is to get through.