Two abandon SA race

By Sylvia Phillips

Two law school students running for Student Association executive positions announced Thursday they will withdraw from the race because of a recommendation from the law school dean.

SA presidential candidate Dan Donnelly and vice presidential candidate Ed Gil stated in a press release, “There is only one reason for our withdrawal. On the afternoon of March 23, 1988, Dean Leonard Strickman of the NIU College of Law urged us to withdraw from the race.”

However, the candidates had not withdrawn officially as of Thursday afternoon, SA Vice President Cam Davis said. “They haven’t taken their names off the ballot,” he said.

Both candidates are first-year law students and each carries a 16-hour course load.

Strickman said he advised the students that carrying heavy course loads in law school was not compatible with active participation in extracurricular activities.

“I encouraged them to withdraw,” Strickman said. “I think the time demands of being a law student are inconsistent with the time demands of the SA office.”

The candidates said the dean did not insist they withdraw. However, Donnelly and Gil said they no longer will run for the SA offices because “our classroom work comes first.”

Donnelly said, “The position SA expects is not a position that can be handled by full-time or professional students.”

The SA president is paid for 20 hours of work, but SA President Jim Fischer said, “I work between 40 and 70 hours per week.”

The candidates’ decision to withdraw has angered some of their supporters. SA Sen. Aaron Burke said he actively worked for Donnelly’s election.

“Dan’s talents include a great capacity for research, speaking and learning quickly. That kind of talent we need in SA,” Burke said.

“They told me they were running, and I worked hard for them. They dropped out and I’m angry.” he said

After spending more than $100 on posters, fliers and newspaper advertisements, Donnelly and Gil expressed regret about leaving the elections.

The candidates said they chose a platform representing mainstream students. They said members of organizations, including fraternities, sororities and the John Lennon Society, dominate SA offices.

“We believe the SA is out of touch with the rest of the student body,” Donnelly said. “We are not a special interest group, we represent all of NIU,” he said.

Gil said, “Instead of protesting, we should stop shouting at the administration and start talking to them.”