Cost increases prompt requests

By Christine Boike

Four student organizations who submitted budget requests totaling about $21,000 to the Student Association Finance Committee cited increased costs as the reason for the requests.

The Black Student Union’s request of about $11,000 would go toward printing, advertising and the publication Lifeline. Money also would be applied to conferences. The finance committee tabled discussion on the BSU’s request until Feb. 10.

Last year, the group submitted an estimated $16,500 request, SA Treasurer Todd Lipscomb said. However, the SA senate approved about $8,500 for the BSU last year, he said.

Black Student Union President Pam Bozeman said, “We realize the SA is in a bind for certain funding,” and the BSU is asking only for what they need.

The Music Performance Activities’ request of about $9,500, which the finance committee recommended, will be applied to the printing of programs for concerts, advertisements for auditions or concerts and royalties for music publishers whose material they use in performances, said Activities President Tom Link. Money for renting and buying music also comes from the fund, he said.

Link said there is not enough money for performance activities and “we’re looking into alternative sources for finances.” Without enough funding, music programs at NIU will have to be repeated within five years, he said.

Visual Communications Committee President Martine Brief said part of their finance committee recommended $84 will be used in April to attend a conference for design students. The conference leads a tour of professional design studios and shows slide presentations of works from other universities.

Last year, the organization received about $50 of its estimated $400 request, Lipscomb said.

Advertising Club President Karen Schill said this is the first year the club has requested a budget. The five-semester-old organization planned to use its $200 request, which the finance committee did not recommend, for more public relations publicity and for the costs of copying surveys taken on NIU students.

The surveys help the club decide the best way to get the most successful business, she said. This year is the first time the club is working with a client on campus.