Plans begin for Day of Action II

By Dina Paluzzi

The Student Committee on Political Action discussed Wednesday the possibilities of organizing a student strike, civil disobedience or direct action, and of involving faculty and staff in planning for the Day of Action II.

The committee is striving for student awareness and involvement. Student Association Sen. Anne Rapp said fighting the tuition increase has to be a regular part of students daily lives here.

SCOPA Chairman Tom Rainey said, “Our goal is to get as many students together with an understanding of why they are together.”

Rainey said, “When we start taking bold actions, that’s when people will come out in large numbers.”

Todd Kuzma said students can promote attention to the problem of a tuition increase by having action on campus. “It’s unique to students,” he said.

The committee discussed the possibilities of organizing a student strike. “Day of Action should be a day of action not an hour of action. A student strike would be ideal,” Rapp said.

Kuzma said a strike without administrative support might end up being detrimental to the plan. He said it might not be taken seriously.

He also said it would be a symbolic protest if someone in the administration would be able to cancel classes for the day.

Rainey said it is a good idea to let the faculty and staff in on the planning as long as they do not become a moderating force.

Rapp said members of the senate met after Sunday’s SA meeting to discuss possible strategies for Day of Action II.

Sit-ins at Rep. John Countryman’s and Sen. Patrick Welch’s offices in DeKalb and Peru, strikes and action in Springfield as well as on campus were discussed as possible strategies by senators, Rapp said.

Rainey said something bigger than sitting in Countryman’s office needs to be done for the Day of Action, but it would be a good step to lead up to the Day of Action.

Rapp said the group discussed three stages of implementation. The first stage is public relations, the second is mass meetings such as a rally in the Chick Evans Fieldhouse or Carl Sandburg Auditiorium, and the third is the Day of Action.

SCOPA members also discussed having a rally in the King Memorial Commons. SA Sen. Aaron Burke said the rally should have a festival atmosphere. “Have dozens of things going on to keep students interested,” Burke said.

Rapp disagreed. She said Day of Action is not a party. People are not there to have fun.

The committee disregarded seeking help from the legislature. “We’ll have to take matters into our own hands,” Rainey said.

He said state legislators are not representing students’ interests or those of the people of Illinois.