Signing Day adventures

By Dave Tuley

A mailman braves all sorts of inclement weather. A Canadian Mountie always gets his man.

The NIU football staff had to play both roles Wednesday to sign 21 freshmen to National Letters of Intent.

In Nebraska, defensive coordinator Tim McGuire had a car accident due to poor road conditions on his way to sign the final two prospects of the day. He survived with a scratch to the head and signed center Ken Kanger and inside linebacker Steve Kurtz despite being an hour late. The Nebraskans were the last of 12 out-of-state recruits.

“I’m pleased with the efforts we’ve had in out-of-state recruiting,” head coach Jerry Pettibone said of his one catch from Iowa, two each from Minnesota and Nebraska and seven from Wisconsin. Five of the Wisconsin players will participate in the North-South Shrine All-Star game this summer. “This year, we competed against Big Ten and Big Eight conference institutions. We got our share of players.”

One of the top incoming Huskies is Oak Park-River Forest receiver David Dougherty, but the weather delayed his signing also. Recruiting coordinator Russ Graham was supposed to get Dougherty’s signature at 8 a.m., but it took Graham three hours to get to Oak Park. By then, the blue-chip prospect had gone to class. Graham picked up his contracts and went to sign Joe Jenkins at Lyons Township High School before returning for Dougherty.

One player the coaching staff did not have to leave campus for was James Darby. He is already attending classes at NIU as a transfer from Cisco Junior College in Texas. Darby is expected to be the No. 1 quarterback in spring drills with Marshall Taylor rehabilitating from a left ankle fracture.

“Quarterback, obviously, was a very important position for us,” said Pettibone, who also garnered three freshmen at that position. “He (Darby) fits in strongly with Marshall’s injury and Pete Genatempo graduating.”

A major improvement for NIU was the presence of bigger linemen in this class. The past few years have seen NIU signing relatively small linemen and building them up in the weight program. But this year’s six defensive line candidates average 6-foot-4, 243 pounds.

“It’s our staff philosophy to recruit defensive linemen with the talent and athleticism to play either offense or defense,” Pettibone said. “Being able to play on either side of the football gives us some flexibility down the line.”

Running backs are always in demand in the wishbone offense, and the Huskies brought in two halfbacks (both 6-foot, 180) and a fullback. Halfback Brett Schroeder rushed for 1,248 yards and 20 touchdowns as a senior at Eisenhower High School in New Berlin, Wis. Joliet Catholic’s Tyrone Isaac was close behind with 1,218 yards and nine touchdowns.

“He’s (Issac) what we consider a speed runner. He has 4.5 speed in the 40-yard dash,” Joliet Catholic coach Jim Boyter said. “I know listening to coach Pettibone that they’re excited about him getting out on the perimeter and turning the corner.”

Thirteen of the recruits come in with ACT scores of 20 or better, led by the 27s posted by Mukwonago, Wis., quarterback Scott Hein and Red Wing, Minn., defensive tackle Dajan Lutjen.

Twelve of the 22 signees play offense.

The most-represented position was quarterback and defensive tackle with four apiece.

No kickers, punters or cornerbacks were signed.

DeKalb High School kicker Jay Barresi signed with Western Michigan. Pettibone said he might look to the junior-college ranks for a kickoff artist.