Board adds stop to bus route two

By Dina Paluzzi

A request from a DeKalb businessman to add an additional bus stop to route two was approved Monday at the Student Association Mass Transit Board meeting.

Jeff Rosenberg, who owns a telemarketing business on the corner of 9th Street and Lincoln Hwy., requested a stop be added there in addition to the stop at 10th Street and Lincoln.

He said the stop at the corner would provide more safety to people waiting to board the bus. His business has outdoor lights, which he would leave on until 9:30 p.m. A traffic light provides the only lighting at the stop at the corner of 10th and Lincoln, he said.

The reason for the request stemmed from the fact that he employs many NIU students, and 90 percent of his employees are female, he said.

In other business, the board will vote at the Feb. 8 meeting on whether to implement a six-week pilot program for a ride service.

SA Sen. Mike Cassman said the proposed ride service is directed toward students who are in need of late-night transportation between 2 a.m. and 6 a.m. when the buses do not run, including students working late at the computer lab or the Art Building, Cassman said.

Board Chairman Phil Kessler said, “The pilot program would be one way of finding out if there is a need for the service.”

Beginning costs for the pilot program would include $500 for a two-way radio and $70 for two magnetic door signs which would identify the cars as the ride service.

Continuing costs for the six-week program would include $252 for driver wages, $50 for identification badges, $60 for printing, $218 for vehicle expenses and an unknown amount for mileage costs over 57 miles per night. The total costs of the program would be $580.

The board would provide funding for the first six weeks and then alternate sources of funding would be needed, Cassman said.

The service would be operated through the University Police and cars from the University Motor Pool would be used for service vehicles, he said.

The service would not be used as transportation for people under the influence of alcohol or drugs, Cassman said.

Board member Dave Pack said the UP employees driving the cars would fill out forms listing the caller’s name, address, destination and number of riders for each ride call requested. The forms would enable the UPs to keep track of how often the service is used and when it is used the most.