Board to decide fate of Huskie bus driver

By Matt James

The Student Association Mass Transit Board today will discuss the fate of a Huskie bus driver who left her bus last semester because of rider complaints.

Board Chairman Phil Kessler said a driver “inexperienced with the weekend bus route” left her bus Dec. 19.

The driver decided not to drive the route because some riders had not presented their student IDs or the 50 cent fee required to ride the bus, Kessler said.

When the riders became angry, the driver left the bus to call her supervisor from the student center, Kessler said, but when she returned, she found that an unidentified person had driven the bus onto Lucinda Avenue.

“The person apparently got off (the bus) and took off before the UPs and the supervisor could get there,” Kessler said.

Huskie Bus Line General Manager Charlie Battista said the driver was “reacting to company policy.”

“The situation got out of the driver’s hands,” Battista said. “I’m not sure what will be decided in Monday’s meeting.”

Kessler said the driver might see punishment for leaving the bus.

“If the committee sees she (the driver) needs a reprimand, perhaps that’s what would happen,” Kessler said.

In other business, the board will consider the addition of a second bus route through downtown Sycamore. Kessler said he had no specific information on the route change, but said, “The board will decide if it’s something that’s possible.”

“I think if we can run the route without altering the existing Huskie Bus Line schedule, perhaps it’s a go.”

The board also will decide if a bus stop should be moved from 10th Street and Lincoln Hwy. to Ninth Street and Lincoln Hwy., Kessler said.