Conflict resolved over recreation center use

By Sandi Patyk

The Student Association Recreation Committee and the Office of Campus Recreation have resolved the fall semester conflict involving use of the Student Recreation Center by the Physical Education Department.

The conflict occurred when the 1987-1988 spring schedule booklet was released listing two PE classes to be held in the rec center. Todd Lokken, SA recreation adviser and SARC chairman, said SARC should be consulted about allowing groups to use the rec center. However, the committee was not contacted.

“SARC met before Christmas break with the Office of Campus Recreation. I don’t think this problem will happen again,” said Lokken.

Jon Dalton, vice president for student affairs, said SARC’s role in scheduling was clarified at the meeting. “SARC is informed in scheduling and will continue to be informed. The problem last semester created the impression that OCR (Office of Campus Recreation) approved rec center use (by the PE department).”

PE Department Chairman Jerry Ball said the two classes were listed in the schedule book because the PE department “didn’t have time to negotiate with the rec center” before the printing deadline.

Ball made two proposals to Lokken in a memo dated Nov. 9. He requested Lokken to identify hours the PE department could use the rec center and provide a reduced fee structure to accommodate the department’s needs.

Lokken said the PE department is allowed to use the rec center, but at the regular rental rate.

Lokken also sent a counter proposal on Nov. 18. One request asked for student use of the Gable Hall weightroom when it is not used by classes. “When we met (before Christmas), Dr. Ball showed no interest in letting us use the weightroom,” Lokken said.

Ball said he is in the process of creating a rental fee policy for use of the weightroom. He said opening the weightroom for student use exposes the equipment to damage and theft.

“We have built the weightroom up, replacing damaged and stolen equipment. We’re indicating the concessions we’ll have to have. We have a tight budget, and we’ll need to be able to recoup losses from wear and tear by casual students.”

Ball said it is difficult for the OCR to adequately supervise the facilities. “(Regular) classes are under supervision, and students wear similar uniforms. The upholstery (on the weight benches) can be torn to shreds by people wearing jeans with rivets and such.” Ball said the PE department has put $5,000 worth of upholstery in the Gable weightroom.