Alcohol policy devised

By Christine Boike

Greek Row residents will use a newly-devised alcohol guideline policy this semester in an effort to reduce the amount of alcohol abuse at NIU.

The alcohol guideline policy, which pinpoints plans to increase responsible drinking, was adopted by the InterFraternity Council, Greek Affairs Adviser Jeff Cufaude said.

The policy includes 15 rules and recommendations fraternity presidents have supported. Cufaude said some of the guidelines are required and some only will be recommended.

He said the designated driver program will be a recommendation because a “taxi service” cannot be enforced.

One guideline requires greek social chairmen to attend an alcohol education seminar and a bartender’s training program, Cufaude said.

At the seminar, social chairmen learn how to be responsible hosts while the bartender’s training program teaches individuals to recognize phases of intoxication.

The greek representatives are instructed not to serve alcohol to any intoxicated person.

Jon Dalton, vice president of student affairs, said, “I’m very pleased they have developed some set of guidelines…(and) are trying to encourage more responsible use of alcohol.”

Alcohol abuse might be the number one issue on campus, Dalton said, and he related it to sexual assault, injury, vandalism and property destruction. He said students should be encouraged to be responsible for their health.

Fraternities and sororities have been running “dry rush” programs which Dalton called a “major step” toward alcohol abuse awareness.

Cufaude said, “Everyone understands that (responsible drinking) is an important issue.”

“There is so much liability” in addition that they need to be conscientious when involved with alcohol.

IFC Vice President Dave Stewart said he is in favor of the new guideline policy because it might reduce the risk of people getting hurt and the risk of property damages.

He said the policy will stress more scholastics and athletics instead of alcohol consumption.

Some of the policy’s guidelines include sponsoring no open parties, serving no grain alcohol as the primary beverage and prohibiting events which require drinking activities potentially dangerous, such as the “chugging” of alcohol.

Another guideline is fraternities should have a guest list or ticket system for social functions in order to avoid overcrowding at the houses.