Students face wait at center

By Sean Noble

There is a long waiting list of people seeking non-emergency help at the Counseling and Development Center, director Kathy Hotelling said, but this is not unusual for this point in the semester.

otelling said the waiting list, which might keep some people waiting for help until next semester, “conforms to national trends.” She said she learned at a counseling directors’ conference in October this is a problem common to many universities.

Stress created by the holiday season and the end of the semester drives more students than usual to seek help at the center, Hotelling said.

For example, she said many students who have been at school a while are not used to going back home, and face difficulties during Christmas break.

She said, “In addition, students’ increasing financial concerns only escalate with the holidays.”

The people on the waiting list are those seeking non-emergency help, Hotelling said. Non-emergency help starts with the intake interview, which is scheduled after the person’s initial phone call. She said this interview “helps the student define what they are looking for with the program.” A family and medical history of the student also is compiled, she said.

Next, the student’s report is prioritized according to need and put on the waiting list, Hotelling said.

otelling said referrals are made in some cases when the need is great and help is not readily available.

“We also have emergency services 24 hours a day for those who are in extremely stressful situations they feel they can’t handle by themselves,” she said. During the day, walk-in assistance is available at the center in Swen Parson Hall.

otelling said students may call the University Health Service after office hours. A health center worker will then contact a counselor on call at the development and counseling center.

She said the center already administers about 200 hours of one-on-one or group counseling per week, but she has seen an increasing need for psychological services in the past few years.