New #7 bus runs after break; route still is undecided

By Paul Wagner

The Student Association Mass Transit Board decided to begin publicizing an additional bus to run to businesses on Sycamore road, although the schedule for the second bus will not be determined until March 16.

The bus is tentatively scheduled to begin running the Saturday after spring break from noon until 6 p.m. Board chairman Todd Lipscomb said he would like to see a timing for the second bus before finalizing its run.

If the additional bus follows the same route as the current no. 7 bus, it would take 40 minutes to run the route. However, if the second bus turned around at Kishwaukee Community Hospital, the time might be reduced to 30 minutes, Lipscomb said.

The board has not decided whether the second bus will follow the same route as the existing bus or will turn around at KCH. Board member Phillip Kessler said he would prefer to see the bus follow the existing route for the rest of the semester and possibly change it next year.

SA senator Natalie Nelson, also a board member, said she would consider the turn around next year when the board will have another chance to publicize it.

In other business the board approved a reduction in the price of bus passes from $28 to $14 effective the Monday after spring break. Lipscomb said the price is usually cut in half after spring break because the semester is half over.

Lipscomb suggested the board raise the price of bus passes from $28 to $35 next year. He said the price was reduced this year to encourage more people to buy the passes, but the board has not sold more passes with the reduced price. As long as the same number of people will buy the permits “at $35 as $28, we might as well raise them,” he said.

The board also accepted the resignation of board member Jeff Waxman. Lipscomb said Waxman quit because of schedule conflicts. Waxman could not be reached for comment Monday.

Lipscomb said he would accept applications from people interested in joining the board. The board currently has about 10 members, but he said he would be willing to raise the number to 20 if he received enough applications.

The board also discussed publicity plans to encourage more people to ride the buses. Last week the board began to distribute maps to area businesses and retirement homes. Lipscomb suggested DeKalb businesses receive maps in the fall, begining next year.

The additional no. 7 bus will be advertised in the residence halls “especially in Neptune because they don’t take the bus as much (as other resident students).”