Extra bus hours get board OK

By Paul Wagner

The Student Association Mass Transit Board last night endorsed a proposal to provide additional transportation for handicapped and disabled students at a cost of $11,195.

Busing graduate assistant David Agazzi said the board is required by law to provide “reasonably comparable” service to the handicapped. There are six to 20 handicapped students attending NIU. He said this number might go up if more service is provided next fall.

The proposal calls for an extension of service provided by the DeKalb Voluntary Action Center. VAC receives funding for its service through Section 18, a state grant available to cities with a population of 20,000 to 50,000 for mass transit service. The proposal calls for an expansion of this funding.

Currently, VAC provides service from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday. The proposal would extend the hours to 7:30 a.m. to 11 p.m. Monday through Friday, 12 p.m. to 11 p.m. Saturdays and 12 p.m. to 6 p.m. on Sunday beginning next fall.

Last semester, weekend and night service was provided by DeKalb Taxi through a contract with the board amounting to about $3,000, Agazzi said. The board also paid VAC about $1,000 for service last semester. DeKalb Taxi since has discontinued night and weekend service.

The proposal for more VAC service will cost the board about $16,000 more than last semester, however most of the cost would be paid by the Illinois Department of Transportation. The proposal also calls for an additional vehicle for VAC at a cost of about $45,000.

To provide more service, two new drivers and a night dispatcher will have to be hired, and maintenance costs for the new vehicle must be supplied. This will cost $22,950. Disabled students fees would provide $560, IDOT would pay $11,195 and the board would provide the remaining $11,195.

Agazzi said the proposal will be brought to VAC, but the final decision will depend on whether funds are available from IDOT. He said the board will know the outcome of the proposal before the end of the semester.

In other business, the board approved a special bus to take students from the Holmes Student Center to the DeKalb City Council chambers on April 13. The council will hear recommendations on the permanent closing of Carroll Avenue and might hear a recommendation to ban buses from north Greek Row.

The board also extended the deadline for groups wishing to sell bus signs next year. Groups wishing to sell bus signs must notify the board by Friday.