Star gets top-notch rating for the 28th time

By Tammy Sholer

The Northern Star received a Five-Star-All-American rating Monday by the Associated Collegiate Press (ACP) for the 28th of the past 29 semesters.

Star Editorial Adviser Jerry Thompson said, “The ACP is a national organization which critiques and rates college newspapers each semester.”

Paul Buys, ACP’s manager of critical services, said the Star received a Five-Star-All-American rating because of the excellent marks the judges awarded the newspaper in all areas for the spring 1986 semester.

Star Editor Debra Fleischman said she was not surprised that the Star received the award because “the staff did their best work ever, receiving marks of distinction in every category.”

Thompson said, “I think it is a reflection on the high caliber of students that are attracted to work at the newspaper. It takes good students to do good work.”

e said, “The university can be proud of the continued recognition by a national organization.” Fleischman said, “The newspaper is a big part of the university (and) it brings prestige to the university.”

The judges made remarks such as, “well-rounded coverage of issues of concern to entire community,” “professional quality and balanced stories” and “well-crafted.”

Buys said the ACP reviewed over 630 colleges from around the country, of which only 59 received the five-star award. The Star is in the top 15 percent of all the newpapers judged in their group. There are four groups to distinguish the type of newspaper being judged.

Buys said the ACP judges five categories which determine if the newspaper has “mastered the basics with innovation or superior excellence. The Star did everything.”

Some of the five categories and the scores the Star received in each include Coverage and Content scoring 700 out of 700, Opinion Content scoring 660 out of 700, Design scoring 830 out of 800 with 50 possible bonus points and Photography, Art, and Graphics scoring 700 out of 700.