Fill in the Blank: The first week of classes was…

By Northern Star Opinion Staff

Ryan Wyrobek | Contributor

“Anxiety Fueled”

I’ve never been good at change, even in high school it took me about two weeks to stop freaking out about the AP classes I took. Moving from that to the rigorous workload of college was an expected change, but still nerve-racking.

This week while everyone was walking through campus seeming carefree, I had the pleasure of having a mini panic attack moving from class to class. My first day, I’m not sure if it was nerves or lack of sleep, but not a single person spoke to me besides the professor. One of my classes was sign language so we couldn’t talk anyways, but it was still awkward.

The day after, I was in the theater building at 8 a.m. and was lectured on the 40-plus hours I will need to spend working out of class in order to pass. I was so overwhelmed I thought I was going to pass out and wake up in July. However, I know it’s just nerves in a new environment, and nerves will pass.

Jordan Radloff | Contributor

“surprisingly relaxing”

After an intense week of Huskie Marching Band camp, I have found relief through the most unexpected concept: having to start college classes. Trading 13 hour days of learning music and marching fundamentals for five-hour days of syllabi and introduction icebreakers has been a dream come true. Even though having to organize my workload is inevitable, I have taken the time to appreciate the laid-back week in preparation for the upcoming stress.

Luckily, I have a convenient schedule that will allow me to limit the amount of stress I have for my first semester. The stars aligned for me to be able to have 90% of my classes in the music building, which is only a 10-minute walk from my residence hall. On top of that, my classes don’t start until 10 a.m.

If this first week of classes is any indication of how my NIU experience will be, I can confidently say it has made me proud to be a Huskie.

Joe Nelson | Contibutor

“a comfortable transition”

It would be a lie to say I’m not nervous, but for the most part, moving in and getting used to life on campus was pretty smooth.

I’m used to being away from home for extended periods of time, having worked at a summer camp for a few years. Adjusting to life on campus has been just as easy as moving in to the cabins at camp.

I have familiarized myself with the locations of my classes and the hours of the dining halls, so I feel prepared in the most basic sense.

The Welcome Week activities were a great asset, and walking to and from different events helped me familiarize myself with campus. My first week was an easy transition, allowing me to prepare for life on campus and the excitement the school year brings.