Four Poets, One Mic preview

Four Poets, One Mic preview

By Jacob Baker

DeKALB —  Four Poets, One Mic is hosting A Def Poetry Jam For the Culture from 7 to 9 p.m. Feb 24 at the Cavan auditorium in Gabel Hall. 

The event will use the art of poetry to highlight inequalities within America. Primarily focusing on racism, several poets will discuss the past and present, according to the Center for Black Studies website. Raffle gifts and free food will be provided. 

The Center for Black Studies has hosted events such as a tribute poetry show for 2PAC, a black choir toy drive and a Pre-Kwanzaa celebration in the past. 

Four Poets co-founder and member Darius Jackson said that the Four Poets started in March of 2018. 

“We started because we were a group of students who wanted to voice our opinion on social justice issues happening in the world and also here in DeKalb and particularly on our NIU campus,” Jackson said. “Also, we are a common group with the gift of poetry so we decided that the best way to share our gift and also showcase social justice issues is through poetry.” 

This event is a black history event and because of that, the group is very excited to perform for this event. 

“We called it for the culture,” Jackson said. “So I’m excited because in this one we have the freedom to talk about racism in America, racism our ancestors dealt with and some of our poets are able to discuss racism on NIU’s campus.”

Fellow co-founder Leaux the Heaux said the members really have to study the pieces they’re going to perform and create a tone in order to make the show impactful for the audience. 

One of the biggest takeaways from these shows for Leaux the Heaux is hard work. 

“If you can work hard, it’ll work out,” Leaux the Heaux said. “There’s a lot of background work for this group and that hard work pays off.” 

For those interested in the event, Jackson said that there will be free food and opportunities to earn gifts from raffles. 

“I’m excited to see the outcome of how students on campus appreciate the show,” Jackson said. 

Correction: This story has been edited to reflect that Four Poets, One Mic is hosting A Def Poetry Jam.