Track and Field battles the elements in Iowa City

First-year multi-event runner Taylor Ramsey competes in the high jump April 13 at the Musco Twilight meet in Iowa City, Iowa.

By Maddie Barrett

DeKALB — The Track and Field team competed in the Musco Twilight meet Saturday in Iowa City, Iowa. Many of the athletes walked away with first place finishes. Head Coach Connie Teaberry said she was proud of the athletes’ performances despite the inclement weather.

“Today tested our athletes’ mental toughness,” Teaberry said. “The weather was cold and windy, [Both of] which are not optimal conditions. The impressive part of the day was watching the athletes’ preparation without complaints.”

Junior multi-event runner Remy Amarteifio placed first in the 100-meter hurdles with a time of 13.80 seconds, placing just short of last meet’s time of 13.73 seconds.

Patrice Watson, Northern Iowa first-year multi-event runner, placed second in the 100-meter hurdles with a time of 14.08 seconds.

In the 100-meter dash, sophomore sprinter Courtney Sockwell placed seventh with a time of 12.58 seconds.

Sophomore sprinter Syanne Johnston placed third in the 200 meter with a time of 25.49. Johnston placed just under Loyola junior sprinter Denee’ Lawrence and unattached Anaya Alexander with times of 25.41 and 25.29, respectively.

Related: Track and Field earns three event wins at Gibson Invite

In the 400-meter dash, junior multi-event runner NeShay Curtis placed fourth with a time of 56.94 seconds. Placing first in the event was Minnesota State junior sprinter Crystal Malone with a time of 55.82.

Sophomore distance runner Nora Finnegan placed first in the 600 meter with a time of 1:36.66.

In the 800 meter, sophomore distance runner Meghan Biddle won the event with a time of 2:18.79 minutes, setting a meet record. Sophomore distance runner Brynn Bartlett placed sixth in the event with a time of 2:28.28 minutes.

In the high jump, first-year multi-event runner Taylor Ramsey placed first with a jump of 1.70 meters. Tying with Ramsey was unattached Dallyssa Huggins and Aubrianna Lantrip, University of Iowa junior jumper.

Teaberry said the victories were well-earned, and the winners worked hard for them.

“None of these wins came easy,” Teaberry said. “Often, regardless of the win, there are technical items that must be corrected, and that’s what each of these victors were working on today.”

In the long jump, first-year sprinter and jumper Jazmyn Smith placed second with a height of 5.56 meters just under Bo Brasseur, Western Illinois junior sprinter, who jumped 5.64 meters.

In the triple jump, first-year sprinter and jumper Diamond Riley placed third with a jump of 11.61 meters. Placing first and second in the competition were Minnesota State junior jumper Elizabeth Brunner and Loyola first-year jumper Sarah Olojo with jumps of 11.94 meters and 11.75 meters, respectively.

“We have four weeks until the MAC Championships,” Teaberry said. “We will continue working on [the team’s] mental focus, technique and preparation as they compete and practice. There is no secret ingredient to success, and the athletes know this fact.”

The team is back in action on Wednesday in Azusa, California for the Brian Clay Invitational as their preparation for the MAC Championships continues.