Anatomy Lab in need of expansion of facilities or relocation

Faculty and graduate students worked together Monday learning the ins and outs of the human brain and its functions, as well as the workings of nerve tissue.

By Sophia Mullowney

DeKALB — The NIU Anatomy Lab, currently established in a former dance studio in the basement of Anderson Hall, hopes to expand its outreach and better accommodate the students currently using its resources.

NIU Anatomy Lab Director Dan Olson said the lab annually hosts approximately 800 students from a variety of programs at NIU or in the surrounding area. Through regular donations from the DeKalb-Sycamore community, the lab provides the opportunity for students to dissect human bodies and explore the mechanics of prosected cadavers.

Olson said through the body donor process, the lab receives several bodies a year, which students dissect through their courses. In the process of cadaver prosection, lab instructors demonstrate anatomical structures on partially dissected bodies and organs for students, who then use those skills for lab work of their own.

Karen Samonds, Human Anatomical Sciences program director, which works in conjunction with the lab, said an expansion of the lab’s facilities has been a long time coming.

“One of the perks of our program is that we’ve grown a lot,” Samonds said. “We’re trying to work toward giving our students great opportunities, but also work through challenges associated with this space.”

Students also expressed their enthusiasm for expansion of the lab. 

Second year graduate student Rucha Shah said she felt the proposal to be an imperative in continuing the work the lab does.

“I think it’d be amazing,” Shah said. “The more features you have makes it better for everyone’s learning.”

Olson said discussion has been ongoing with the College of Education in the process of program prioritization to expand the existing facilities due to the addition of 20 students to the athletic training master’s program, who would require frequent use of the lab. He said the lab staff was made aware of the addition and told to adapt, which couldn’t be done due to the current size of the facility.

“We cannot adapt to 20 more students with our existing space; it’s impossible,” Olson said. ”You’re talking about buying five or six more tanks and much more equipment. It’s a significant investment.”

Olson said negotiations have centered around the decision to update the current location or move the lab to a larger space elsewhere on campus. He said the lab could be extended into the neighboring “fit room” currently in use by the Department of Kinesiology and Physical Therapy, if agreements could be met.

Olson also said he alerted the College of Education to possibly using the basement of the Monsanto building, if the space could be made available.

Olson said access to certain utilities is a huge consideration for where the Anatomy Lab will be relocated or how renovations will proceed. He said the ventilation of the current space requires some work, and if a move is to be done, proper ventilation would be the top priority in establishing the lab.

Despite the opportunities to enlarge outreach through expansion, Olson said the main focus through current operations is accommodating students and offering the best lab experience possible.

“What I’m more concerned about is a modern, clean facility,” Olson said. “We’re trying to showcase ourselves and NIU.”