Winter Clothing Drive to accept donations until end of semester

By Northern Star Staff

DeKALB — Members of First and Second Year Experience [FYSE] and Student Involvement & Leadership Development [SILD] brought the giving spirit to campus this semester with the Winter Clothing Drive.

The Winter Clothing Drive has been open since the first day of classes Aug. 27 and will continue collecting donations through Dec. 7, according to the NIU Events Calendar. All donations are appreciated to provide new or lightly-used winter gear to students in need. Some items already donated include jeans, longwear, winter coats and jackets, scarves, hats, and gloves.

Dropboxes are located in the SILD office in the Campus Life Building, room 150, as well as in the FSYE office, located in Altgeld Hall, room 100.

Different NIU groups have hosted the Winter Clothing Drive over the years, including the now inactive Financial Cents Program.

The two organizations were inspired to host a winter clothing drive by the university’s 2017-2019 common read, “Make Your Home Among Strangers,” by Jennine Capó Crucet. The book tells the story of a first-generation college student and highlights some of the struggles she faces during her transition to independence.

Volunteers from FYSE and SILD also worked a table t the Huskie Food Pantry so those using the resource for food could also take advantage of the Winter Clothing Drive donations if needed.

“We go to the Huskie Food Pantry on Thursday nights, set up a table and offer anyone to take whatever [winter apparel] they may need,” FYSE Graduate Assistant Emily Murphy said.

Jennifer Van Ewyk, SILD Assistant Program Director, said the pantry tries to stick to food, but there are other upcoming events such as the Student Association’s Swap Don’t Shop, an event which will help students get the clothing they need.

“Heavy winter coats went first,” Student Success Team Member Anetia Dickens said. “Any donation counts, like a pair of gloves or even a scarf.”