Freeman: hatred opposes university’s fundamentals

By Northern Star Staff

Hate flyers, stickers and posters have been spotted around campus.

Acting President Lisa Freeman condemned the postings and said the message being distributed does not align with the university’s mission of diversity and equality, according to a March 18 Facebook post from Freeman.

“We cannot give in to that ignorance,” Freeman said in the Facebook post. “Hatred does not align with the principles of NIU and it is something the university fundamentally opposes.”

She did not name the organizations responsible for the postings but said they were not affiliated with any of the university’s organizations and have been identified as a hate groups by the Southern Poverty Law Center.

Staff members are in the process of removing all materials because they violate the university’s posting policies.

This is the second time hate speech has been found on campus. Identity Evropa, a neo-Nazi and white supremacists group according to the Anti-Defamation League, distributed flyers and stickers on campus in October in an attempt to recruit students. The group’s flyers were found on 241 different campuses across the U.S.

“I’m incredibly proud of leading a university that is diverse in all aspects, and that strives to provide a welcoming community to all students, faculty and staff,” Freeman said. “In times like now, I encourage us all to consider our student’s Northern Pact and how we can meaningfully live it each day so that messages rooted in inclusivity and positivity are raised higher than those intended to divide us.”

Any biased incidents should be reported to the Office of Academic Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at 815-752-8399 or in their office in room 211 of Altgeld Hall. Threats should be reported to the NIU Police Department, at 815-753-1212, or 911 in case of emergencies.