The ‘king’ of NIU takes his leave

By Lindsey Salvatelli

Board of Trustees member Bob Boey has moved onto another job: retirement.

Boey has held many positions on the Board of Trustees and within its committees since 1996, including chairperson from 1997 to 1999.

Boey has contributed his leadership to many construction and renovation projects around campus, including Altgeld Hall, Campus Child Care, Barsema Business Hall, the Latino Resource Center, the Convocation Center, the Barsema Alumni and Visitors Center, New Residence Hall, the Engineering Building and several other projects.

Boey and his wife Doris were recognized in a resolution given by the Board acknowledging the Boeys for the mentorship and advocacy they provided to Asian and Asian-American students at Kishwaukee College and NIU.

“[Boey] has [provided] strong guidance and wise counsel through virtually every major challenge and accomplishment of NIU for more than two decades,” Wheeler Coleman, Board of Trustees chairperson, said as he read Boey’s resolution.

Boey has also given his time to the city of DeKalb by holding several leadership positions on boards and councils.

Mayor Jerry Smith spoke during the public comment period about Boey’s departure and gave thanks to Boey for all the service he has provided to not only NIU, but also to DeKalb.

“As a proud NIU grad, I know that Bob considered himself a fellow Huskie and will continue to support this city and this campus,” Smith said. “On behalf of our family, on behalf of the city of DeKalb and behalf on thousands who have benefited from Bob Boey’s longtime service to this university, my heartfelt thanks.”

Acting President Lisa Freeman read statements from former Presidents John Peters and John La Tourette who spoke about projects Boey undertook during their time at NIU.

Peters wrote that over the university’s history, certain exceptional faculty members, administration, donors and community leaders have been saluted for their work and dedication.

“Bob, I believe your name must be included among these noteables,” Freeman read.

All of the Trustees who were in attendance during the resolution spoke about Boey’s impact on DeKalb, the university and themselves.

Trustee Dennis Barsema said he regretted more students weren’t present to witness Boey’s resolution because Boey and his wife, “the king and queen of NIU,” are great role models.

“I just think the world needs more guys like you,” Barsema said.