Softball ends series with a loss

By Khobi Price

DeKALB — The softball team lost to the Miami University RedHawks 7-2 Sunday after its attempted rally in the sixth inning fell short.

“In this game particularly, we just did not play good defense,” said Head Coach Christina Sutcliffe. “On paper, I do not think all seven [runs] will be unearned, and we just have to do a better job defensively.”

The Huskies (9-20, 1-2 Mid-American Conference) were losing 4-2 and had bases loaded with one out in the top of the sixth inning. Senior infielder Bekah Harnish reached first base after being walked during her at bat.

Sophomore outfielder Kayla Scaperrotta advanced to second base after Harnish’s walk and junior infielder Sam Schmidt reached third base after a fielder’s choice earlier in the inning.

Freshman catcher Kira Mickelson swung on the first pitch and hit a pop-up for the second out of the inning. Freshman outfielder Katie Wingerter struck out swinging during the Huskies’ next at-bat for the final out of the inning, leaving all three runners on base.

“I think we just need to do a better job with bases loaded,” Sutcliffe said. “We gotta figure out our swing with two strikes. We gotta do a better job of putting the ball in play and not striking out.”

The RedHawks opened the scoring for the contest in the bottom of the second inning with three runs off an RBI single in which two unearned runs were scored. Miami extended its lead to four runs in the third inning after a fielder’s choice.

NIU scored its first runs of the game when Harnish smacked a two RBI single to the outfield in the top of the fourth inning. Schmidt and sophomore infielder Kalalaelisa Toomalatai, who pinch ran for Scaperrotta, who scored the Huskie’s two runs for the game.

“For me, it’s just a different mentality, really being up there to help my team out,” Schmidt said. “Just fouling off any pitches that I can until I get one I can put in play hard.”

Miami scored the last three runs of the contest in the bottom of the sixth inning off a two RBI double and an RBI single to propel itself to a five run victory.

NIU will return to action against the University of Illinois-Chicago Flames 3 p.m. Tuesday at Mary M. Bell Field. The Huskies and Flames have faced off twice this season and each won one game.

“You obviously want to win the series,” Sutcliffe said. “You want to go in and take that third game against them. Not only from the standpoint of pride, but from a recruiting standpoint.”