Track team sets records down state

Track team sets records down state

By Jayce Eustice

DeKalb — The track and field team were shorthanded as they traveled with only 16 athletes Saturday to the University of Illinois for the Orange and Blue Classic.

Head Coach Connie Teaberry said the reason for the limited participants this weekend was precautionary.

“We are kind of nursing some nagging injuries, but we are sure these girls will be ready to go next weekend,” Teaberry said. “It just wasn’t worth pushing them at the wrong time this close to the conference championships.”

Senior jumper Chennel Palmer leaped 1.68 meters to take first place in the high jump. Freshman jumper Kenyae Majors took second in the long jump.

The 200-meter dash was a popular event for the Huskies as they had three runners place in the top four. Freshman sprinter Syanne Johnston and freshman sprinter Khenadi Jones placed first and second respectively with times of 25.47 seconds and 25.53 seconds. Freshman sprinter Courtney Sockwell placed fourth in the event with a time of 25.54 seconds.

Sockwell also placed second in the 60-meter dash with a time of 7.67 seconds.

Sophomore hurdler Remy Amarteifio continued her season by taking first in the 60-meter hurdles with a time of 8.53 seconds and taking first in the 60-meter dash with a time of 7.63 seconds.

“Remy out there hurdling did a great job,” Teaberry said. “We will be looking forward to running against the really good hurdlers next week.”

The sophomore duo of sprinter Grace Harris and sprinter Neshay Curtis placed third and fourth in the 400-meter with times of 58.82 seconds and 59.26 seconds, respectively.

Sophomore distance runner Vivian Overbeck ran her way into a second place finish in the 3,000-meter with a time of 10:09.69 minutes.

In the mile run, freshman distance runner Sara Atkins took fourth place with a time 5:16.72 minutes.

Teaberry said the team’s preparation for Mid-American Conference Indoor Championships will focus more on technique instead of training.

“It’s a fine line between making sure you don’t do to much and overwork them, because it’s hard to come back from that,” Teaberry said. “Opposed to technique wise and making sure everyone is performing correctly.”

The Huskies will take on conference foes at the MAC Indoor Championships Friday and Saturday in Bowling Green, Ohio for their final indoor event of the season.