Men’s tennis goes 1-1 over weekend

Men’s tennis goes 1-1 over weekend

By Zac Camacho

DeKALB — The men’s tennis team opened the 2018 season splitting matches Saturday against Drake University and Tennessee Tech University.

After a 4-0 loss in the morning to Drake, the defending Missouri Valley Conference champions, the Huskies shrugged it off and defeated Tennessee Tech 4-3.

“We played so well,” said Head Coach Patrick Fisher. “The enthusiasm, physical condition, leadership and character we showed was amazing.”

Saturday Morning – Drake

Redshirt senior Eric Marbach and redshirt freshman Kristopher Ortega lost the doubles match 6-2 at No. 1. Seniors Georg Lundkvist and Louis-Philippe Hamel also fell 6-3 at No. 3 while freshman Victor Spolidorio and senior Tom Hjertonsson had an unfinished 4-4 match giving Drake an early 1-0 lead.

In the singles matches, Drake also won at No. 4 and 5 to secure the win, giving the Huskies their first loss of the season.

Saturday Afternoon – Tennessee Tech

After a blowout loss to Drake, the Huskies bounced back in the afternoon and defeated Tennessee Tech 4-3.

The Huskies took the doubles point after a 6-0 win at No. 2 and a 7-6 win at No. 1 by Marbach and Ortega.

The singles matches went back and forth with Tennessee Tech’s Eduardo Mena, earning the win at No. 1 and evening the match.

Ortega put the Huskies back on top with a win at the four before Tennessee Tech’s Jorge Alfonzo tied the match once again at No. 2.

Spolidorio earned a 6-2, 7-5 win at No. 6 to put the Huskies back on top, but Lundkvist was defeated 6-4, 7-6 at the No. 3 to even the score once again.

As the only true freshman on the team, Fisher had nothing but confidence in the lone freshman’s capabilities.

“Victor is unbelievably mature and is going to have a huge career here,” Fisher said.

In the final game of the day, the Huskies leaned on senior leadership to close out their first win of the year.

Hjertonsson defeated Gonzalo Garcia 4-6, 6-2, 6-4, earning NIU its first win of the season.

Fisher said he credits the team’s effort in its win to its fitness.