Wrestling suffers setback at Ohio

Wrestling suffers setback at Ohio

By Rick Green

DeKALB — The Huskies wrapped up their weekend road trip Sunday with a match against the Ohio University Bobcats. NIU struggled throughout in the entire match and lost by a score of 34-6.

“We are capable of much more as a team,” said Head Coach Ryan Ludwig.

In the first dual of the day, redshirt sophomore Kirk Johansen defeated Trevor Giallambardo by decision 7-2 at 125-pounds. Johansen is now 3-4 on the season and picked up his first dual win.

Redshirt freshman Max Ihry won his second match on the weekend by a score of 3-1 against Gabe Dzuro of Ohio at 197-pounds. Ihry is 3-1 in MAC play and now holds a 6-13 record in the season.

“Max Ihry comes away with two victories this weekend, so I commend him on his toughness and grit in tight matches,” Ludwig said.

Ihry and Johansen were the only Huskies to record a win on Sunday.

“We will train with fire and purpose this week in anticipation of our home dual on Sunday,” Ludwig said.

Freshman Jose Acosta lost to a close contested match to Joe Terry of Ohio University 3-1 in his third career dual match. Redshirt sophomore Caleb Gossett lost a close match to Zach Parker of the Bobcats 3-2 at 285-pounds. Gossett met Terry in last year’s MAC Championship match, and Terry won by the same result.

Redshirt junior Alijah Jeffery fell to No. 15 ranked Cameron Kelly of the Bobcats by technical fall 18-0. Sophomore Anthony Rubino lost by major decision to Mario Guillen of Ohio University 13-2.

Kade Kowalski of Ohio University defeated freshman Nolan Baker by decision. Redshirt sophomore Caden McWhirter loss by decision to Cullen Cummings of the Bobcats 12-2.

The Huskies only won two out of the 10 matches played. NIU struggled to get going after Johansen came off with the leadoff win.

“We must live like champions 24 hours a day to improve and offer our best performance under the lights,” Ludwig said.

The Huskies are now 2-6 on the season and still have five duals remaining, including three home duals.

The Huskies will be back in action 2 p.m. Sunday as they come home to face the North Dakota State University Buffalo’s at the Convocation Center.