Buffalo trampled by Huskies

By Rick Green

DeKALB — The wrestling team ended its five-meet losing streak Sunday after earning its first Mid-American Conference win of the season, defeating the University at Buffalo Bulls 19-16.

Redshirt sophomore Caden McWhirter led off for the Huskies with a win by fall against Eric Fasnacht of the Bulls.

“We had to emphasize mindset,” said Head Coach Ryan Ludwig. “We were confident, aggressive and determined.”

Wrestling at 165-pounds, Noah Grover of Buffalo faced off against redshirt junior Andrew Scott. Grover fell to Scott by majority decision 9-1, earning Scott his first dual win of the season and his sixth win overall.

Christian Dietrich of Buffalo faced off against redshirt junior Quinton Rosser. Dietrich fell to Rosser by decision 3-0, giving the Huskies a commanding 13-0 lead.

Redshirt junior Bryce Gorman kept the Huskies winning streak alive, as he defeated Brett Perry of the Bulls by decision 4-1.

The wrestling team won the first four matches of the afternoon and held a dominant shutout score of 16-0 in the match.

Wrestling at 197-pounds, redshirt freshman Max Ihry tussled with Joe Ariola of the Bulls. Ihry fell to Ariola by majority decision 11-3. The Bulls won their first match of the day and closed the deficit to only 12 points.

Buffalo rallied back from the 16-point deficit by winning five matches in a row.

“These guys displayed a great deal of character in the way they came out to compete today,” Ludwig said.

Jake Gunning of Buffalo defeated redshirt sophomore Caleb Gossett by decision 4-2.

Sophomore Brock Hudkins lost to Kyle Akins of Buffalo by decision 3-2. Hudkins lost his second dual of the weekend and dropped his record to 12-9 on the season.

Bryan Lantry of Buffalo wrestled redshirt junior Alijah Jeffery at 133-pounds. Lantry defeated Jeffery by decision 2-0. Jeffery has fallen to 5-6 in dual meets, and his season record stands at 14-13.

Sophomore Anthony Rubino’s season struggles continued Sunday, as he was defeated by Jason Estevez of the Bulls by decision 11-4.

Nicholas Palumbo of Buffalo and freshman Nolan Baker squared off at 149-pounds for the final match of the day. Baker defeated Palumbo by decision 12-9, leading the Huskies to a win. Baker picked up his first collegiate win.

“We will enjoy the victory for a few hours,” Ludwig said. “The key is to remain hungry as we prepare for our next match at home on Friday.”

The Huskies will be back in action against the Kent State Golden Flashes 7 p.m. Friday at Victor E. Court in the Convocation Center.