Events to honor shooting victims

By Northern Star Staff

DeKALB — NIU announced the schedule of events to remember and commemorate the victims of the Feb. 14, 2008, shooting.

The events are a remembrance of 10 years since the shooting at Cole Hall, where five students were killed and 21 others were injured.

The events were organized by Dean of Students Kelly Wesener Michael.

Anne Hardy, Financial Aid and Scholarship Office director, said she hopes these events have a positive impact on the university.

“I think these events are important,” Hardy said. “It’s still such an emotional thing for us to remember that day, to remember all we lost. But it also focuses on how we move forward each day.”

Hardy said she also sees the event as an opportunity for students, staff, administration and community members to all connect.

“I think that people will have this opportunity to come together, to be with each other, to reflect on the time that has passed,” Hardy said.

The events begin with a Community Appreciation Reception at 4:30 p.m. Feb. 9 in the Capitol Room of the Holmes Student Center. The event will allow those from the university and community that contributed to the “response and healing” after the Feb. 14, 2008, shooting to gather for refreshments and fellowship, according to a Jan. 24 NIU press release.

Later that day, a candlelight vigil will be held at 6 p.m. at the MLK Commons. The event will include remarks from NIU campus leaders.

On Feb. 10, Campus Recreation will host a 2.14-mile reflection walk at 10 a.m. Later that day at the Convocation Center, first responders will be recognized at both the NIU women’s basketball game against the Bowling Green State Falcons tipping off at 1 p.m. and at the NIU men’s basketball game against the Buffalo Bulls tipping off at 3:30 p.m.

The School of Music will hold the ‘Forward, Together: A Concert of Tribute’ at 8 p.m. Feb. 10 at Boutell Memorial Concert Hall in the Music Building. The concert “will embody the themes of resilience and healing,” according to a Jan. 24 NIU press release.

The public is invited to a laying of memorial wreaths at 3 p.m. Feb. 14 outside of Cole Hall. There, a moment of reflection will be observed, and the university bell will toll five times in honor of the victims at 3:06 p.m, the exact time of the shooting 10 years prior.