Men’s tennis splits weekend at home

By Zac Camacho

The men’s tennis team defeated the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater and Cardinal Stritch University Thursday in its first home match of the spring at the Chick Evans Field House.

The Huskies defeated Whitewater 6-1 and shutout Cardinal Stretch 7-0, improving to 3-1 on the year.

“I thought we played great,” said Head Coach Patrick Fisher. “From start to finish we got better as the day went on.”

Thursday Morning – University of Wisconsin-Whitewater

The Huskies started the match with a three-game sweep in doubles, earning the first match point.

Junior Erich Shuette and freshman Victor Spolidorio defeated Whitewater’s senior Grant Thompson and sophomore Zach Wood 6-1 at the No. 3.

Senior Georg Lundkuist and sophomore Bor Schweiger Muzar finished second after they took down senior Matt Zurowski and junior Brandon Dechter of Whitewater 6-2 at the No. 2.

The third doubles match was NIU’s redshirt senior Eric Marbach and redshirt freshman Kristopher Ortega against Whitewater senior Zane Navratil and junior Jimmy Engelhart. Marbach and Ortega completed the doubles sweep on Whitewater with a 7-5 win at the No. 1.

The Huskies nearly completed a full sweep in the single games, winning all the matches except for Shuette at No. 6, falling to sophomore Lucas Monterroso 2-6, 7-5, 10-8.

Thursday Afternoon – Cardinal Stritch University

NIU started Thursday off in the same fashion by sweeping Cardinal Stritch in the double matches.

Seniors Louis Phillipe-Hamel and Tom Hjertonsson were at the No. 3 after sitting in the morning and defeated Cardinal Stritch 6-3. Lundkuist and Muzar won at the No. 2 spot with the same score of 6-3, clinching the doubles point.

Marbach and Ortega followed the pattern beating Cardinal Stritch 6-3 at the No. 1, but the doubles point had already been awarded to NIU.

Spolidorio improved his singles record to 2-0 defeating freshman Simon Alig 6-3, 6-4 at the No. 6.

Hjertonsson at the No. 5 was the only singles match to go three sets against freshman Nicollo Rossi of Cardinal Stritch but pulled off the win 6-3, 1-6, 10-6.

“Overall, everyone improved today big,” Fisher said. “We played great doubles and are playing better at the net thanks to Vadym, our assistant. He’s really added some great things.”

NIU will host Saint Louis University and University of Nebraska Omaha on Friday at noon and 4 p.m. in Rockford.