Huskies celebrate at tailgate | NIU marks 111th annual Homecoming

By Michael Urbanec

DeKALB — Students, alumni and football fans alike gathered Saturday for NIU’s 111th annual Homecoming.

The atmosphere at the tailgate was festive despite the drizzly weather and the gusting winds. The weather did not dampen the spirits of the fans or the players either, as the Huskies defeated Kent State 24-3.

“We loved it when we were here, and we love the college campus atmosphere, and it certainly helps when there’s a good team on the field,” said alumnus Todd Chewning, Class of 1990. “I lived on a floor of 50 guys, and I had 50 friends. I keep in contact with a lot of them.”

Homecoming drew hundreds of spectators and tailgaters back to their alma mater.

“I come back for homecoming most years, but I have season tickets now,” said alumna Kim Perkins, Class of 1976. “It helps that there’s been a winning team to watch.”

The parking lots near Huskie Stadium were packed full of alumni and their family, some throwing around a football, some cooking out and some chatting with their loved ones.

The Yard, a fenced in area between the parking lots and the stadium, featured a soundstage, beer garden, food and a bouncy castle, all of which were coordinated by the NIU Alumni Association.

But the tailgate area was also full of students gathering together, whether it be with their fraternity, sorority or just some friends.

“I always enjoy the tailgate,” said Alex Wilkinson, senior mechanical engineering major. “There’s a lot of people. Everyone is here to support the team; it’s got a good energy, and it’s great to see.”

The sidewalks were packed with students making their way toward the student tailgate section. Thousands of students were set up in the lots, and the noise was deafening. Music and voices were audible in every direction.

Homecoming week featured many scheduled events for members of the NIU community, including multiple pep rallies, a recycled boat race across the East Lagoon and a party held at the Student Recreation Center with DJ Esco.

“All my friends [and] alumni come over, and it’s like a big party,” said Chris Monmany, freshman business and marketing major. “Everybody has school spirit.”