What to expect at the Graduate and Professional School Fair

By Northern Star Staff

Are you wondering if graduate school is for you? Then this event is for you!

NIU is hosting a Graduate and Professional School Fair from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Tuesday, Oct 17 in the Duke Ellington Ballroom.

The fair can help students decide if graduate school is right for them or even just to start exploring the idea, which can include a different major or a school switch. This will give you all of the information needed to determine the requirements of a program or for an admission.

“One of the benefits of attending NIU’s Graduate and Professional School Fair is to begin learning about graduate school options as early as possible,” Joyce Keller, NIU’s Career Development Associate Director, said. “Even if students are uncertain about whether or not to consider graduate school, this fair is a valuable way to see what it offers.” 

Are you looking for a certain school? Check to see if they will be there at careerfairs.niu.edu or on your Huskies Get Hired account. You will also receive a guide to where each school is located in the ballroom so you can prioritize the schools you would like to visit. There will be 105 representatives from schools across the country.

“Graduate school decisions are influenced more by the program a student is considering more so than the institution overall, students can explore the program offerings by browsing through the GPS fair. They do not have to come with their minds made up as to where they want to attend,” Keller said. 

Be sure to get the answers to all of your questions from different recruiters. Do you not know what to ask? Thinking about tuition, requirements, financial aid and scholarship opportunities. You might even find a school you weren’t thinking about! Don’t forget to bring a notepad and folder to collect all your information and hand-outs from the different graduate programs.

Brandon Lagana, the Planning and Assessment Director, shared with me a review from a former NIU student. It states, “Best Decision I made was to attend (The GPS), I found the grad school I ended up at from this fair last year and I am only a few more months away from graduating with my Master’s degree. I would highly recommend any student even thinking about graduate school to attend and meet the different representatives.”

If you need help or would like to schedule a career counseling appointment, contact the Career Services located in the Campus Life Building Room 220 or give them a call at 815-753-1642.