Greeks showcase talents

Northern Star File Photo

Greek life and its organizations participate in many events both philanthropic and social based.

By Zachary Klehm

DeKALB — The Carl Sandburg auditorium hosted members of Greek life and their families Saturday to celebrate diversity and community outreach in the Greek community as part of Family Weekend.

The showcase featured the four fraternity and sorority councils at NIU. Members from each organization represented at the event had a chance to speak about what Greek life means to them and how each of their seven respective organizations allows them to make a difference.

Kesha Williams, associate director of Orientation and Family Connections, spearheaded the event. She said her goal for the outreach event was to show students interested in Greek life that these organizations are engaged and care about the community around them.

“[The goal of the event was] to educate both the parents and family members who are visiting this weekend whose potential student may be interested in Greek life to see what the councils or the Greek organizations have to offer them,” Williams said.

Kiana Hester, senior biology major and vice president of Zeta Sigma Chi Multicultural Sorority Incorporated said what inspires her most about her organization is its diversity.

“We don’t have to put ourselves in a box,” Hester said. “We can help spread awareness about everyone instead of trying to raise awareness about a particular group.”

Lauren Penkas, senior rehabilitation and disability services major and president of Zeta Sigma Chi Multicultural Sorority Incorporated, said two of the most important aspects of Greek life for her are personal strength and love.

This sentiment was echoed throughout the event as members of the featured fraternities and sororities continued to speak, not only about ways their organizations can help the community around them, but how their organizations have helped them in their personal lives, as well.

Penkas said her role as president has allowed her to develop her leadership and speaking skills.

“Being multicultural opens the doors to be more social with different people,” Penkas said.

Members of each organization spoke about their respective philanthropies to which they are devoted, such as Zeta Sigma Chi’s devotion to Ronald McDonald house or the Kappa Pi Beta fraternity’s devotion to Type II diabetes outreach.

The event allowed members to shed light on the causes that are dear to them and encourage others to join them in their fight.

To end the event, each sorority and fraternity mounted the stage and performed their stroll for the audience. A stroll is a choreographed dance in which fraternities and sororities have the opportunity to emphasize the importance of unity, according to a video shown at the event. Laughter, shouts and applause rang out from the audience as onlookers watched each stroll take place. Each stroll was ended with a roll call, which is a short cheer unique to each organization.

Hester advised students interested in Greek life to explore their options before committing to an organization, as the organizations students choose to join will become their home away from home.