Unity March returns at NIU

By Jessie Kern

DeKALB — NIU hosted the fourth annual Unity March Tuesday where students, staff, faculty and DeKalb community members came together to represent a shared commitment to diversity and unification.

Several speakers shared their thoughts about what it means to be a unified community through the acceptance of those different from oneself.

William McCoy, College of Business director of ethics education and diversity initiatives, served as the Unity March’s announcer and kicked off the event with high spirits and encouragement in celebration of the event.

The Unity March began four years ago following the death of Michael Brown, an 18-year-old black man who was controversially shot and killed by a police officer. After witnessing the reaction to the event, Pastor Joseph Mitchell of DeKalb’s New Hope Baptist Church found himself inspired. He presented the idea of the march to Chief of Police Thomas Phillips, and the Unity March was born.

“We will march to protest hate,” McCoy said. “We will march to protest evil. We will march to protest injustice. We will march to protest brutality, and we will march to protest bigotry.”

Several officers and firefighters from the NIU police department, Dekalb police department and DeKalb fire department came to represent their stations, as well. McCoy said the presence of these officers lent support to the disapproval of police brutality in DeKalb.

Referring to the incidents that inspired the first Unity March, McCoy said strength was found through the coming together of NIU and DeKalb despite the “dark and foreboding times” being faced by the nation.

“To embrace life in a diverse community, like NIU and DeKalb, requires us to commit to walk together, both literally and metaphorically,” acting Provost Chris McCord said. “It calls on us to take time to get to know others who may see a world from a different perspective, or have life experiences different from our own.”

Other speakers included Mayor Jerry Smith, Christine Wang, Student Association Senate speaker and Chrystal McAlpin, junior middle back volleyball player.

McAplin was among members of the women’s basketball team, women’s softball team and women’s volleyball team who came out to support the cause. McAlpin was one of the first students to take a knee during the national anthem at volleyball games last year.

“When people of different backgrounds unify and work together, more problems are addressed and handled in a different manner,” McAlpin Said.

Smith, who echoed McAlpin’s sentiment, said he was proud to be involved in the event.

“Today, we join together in embracing our diversity and in continuing the call for social justice,” Smith said. “As an NIU alum and as your mayor, I’m delighted to march for unity.”

And they’re off

With a police car leading and following, the crowd took off on their route. Taking to the street, the marchers were led from the MLK Commons down Lucinda Avenue. They turned on Russell Road and then followed Greenbrier Road back to Normal Road.

Embracing the encouragement to speak to those near the demonstration, marchers everywhere were conversing with strangers passing by.

Acting President Lisa Freeman and Smith engaged in striking up conversation with their neighbors, as well.

Smith said he was happy to join marchers to embrace the diversity of the area and support the call for social justice.

Graduate student Darius Jackson said he has attended the Unity March since its inaugural year in 2014. Jackson said he has watched the march grow in numbers each year, and it’s a good feeling to see people coming together because it shows the university cares.

After the marchers returned to the Holmes Student Center, they were brought to the Carl Sandberg Auditorium for a screening of “Bring it to the Table,” a movie that addresses the way political groups are perceived by people with opposing views.

“I want to say that our commitment to civil discourse, to listening to and hearing each other and understanding how to engage in dialogue about things that we might not agree about is one of the things that makes me most proud to be the acting president of NIU,” Freeman said.

Before the movie showing, Freeman spoke about the issues regarding free speech and the first amendment. She also spoke about protecting students from experiencing hate speech.

“We’re trying to promote a world where respective conversations can happen around those things,” Freeman said. “Here at NIU, we’re committed to providing opportunities to engage our communities in meaningful dialogue and resolution.”