Back-to-class films relax students’ minds

By Tony Blanco

While transitioning from a carefree summer break into the busy fall semester, it’s important to remember the balance between work and play. Here are four films to help remind students of the fun, friendship and inspiration to be experienced amid a hectic college life as the new year begins and the adventure continues.

American Pie 2 (2001)

Jason Biggs stars as Jim Levenstein in this raunchy, coming-of-age comedy. To cure their summer blues, Jim and friends rent a beach house in hopes of having a sex-fueled, feel good time leading to hilarious predicaments involving erotic neighbors, crazy glue and band instruments.

Chock full of irreverent humor, enjoying this film doesn’t require any thinking. It’s a great way to take a break from studying and reminds students of the special bond best friends share.

Animal House (1978)

John Landis’ classic comedy celebrates the fun and freedom of college through the unforgettable Bluto, played by John Belushi, and a cast of quirky characters who enjoy a never-ending good time until they get expelled for failing grades.

“Animal House” proves through the witty antics of the cast that college can be the best of times, while warning overindulgence can have serious consequences for the party animals.

Back to School (1986)

Rodney Dangerfield stars as Thornton Melon, a 52-year-old business tycoon who goes back to college in order to prevent his son, Jason, played by Keith Gordon, from dropping out. Full of unusual father-son moments, the relationships in the film may even remind students of their own families.

This hilarious, heart-warming film is sure to remind students of the inspirational role non-traditional students play and is a great laugh to take the mind off of homework due this first week.

Mr. Holland’s Opus (1995)

After reluctantly taking a high school teaching job to pay his bills, Glenn Holland, played by Richard Dreyfuss, soon discovers his passion for teaching and shares his love of music with students in a way that profoundly changes their lives.

This film reminds students of the work teachers do to prepare their pupils for success and suggests students may have more in common with teachers than is perceived on the first day. With music filling the thematic statements of the film, a relaxed viewing provides an inspirational change up from listening to songs while studying.